Creamy Zuppa Toscana
Adapted from Carolina Charm
1. In a large skillet, cook bacon until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Crumble and set aside. Drain grease.
2. Add Italian sausage to the skillet and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, crumbling the sausage as it cooks; drain excess fat and set aside.
3. Skin and cut potatoes in ¼ inch slices.
4. In a large stockpot, add garlic, onion and butter, and cook on medium heat, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil.
5. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
6. Stir in sausage and spinach until spinach begins to wilt, about 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat and stir in heavy cream. Cook until heated through, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper, to taste (If you have some black truffle salt that's good to add. Just a little pinch.)
7. Serve immediately, garnished with bacon.
Join me in my journey as a wife, new mom and a baker as I learn to balance all of life's aprons.